An Italian prosecutor has said that he has evidence that charities helping refugees and migrants cross the Mediterranean Sea to Europe safely are “colluding” with people smugglers.
Speaking to Italy’s La Stampa, Sicily-based Carmelo Zuccaro told the paper: “We have evidence that there are direct contacts between certain NGOs and people traffickers in Libya.”
Charities were making telephone calls to Libya, helping to guide smugglers’ ships in Libyan as well as international waters and advising them to turn off transponders to avoid detection, he added.
Mr Zuccaro did not say whether he would open a criminal investigation.
Several NGOs working in the Mediterranean previously told The Independent such claims were “baseless”.
Mr Zuccaro’s task force began to investigate alleged links between charities and Libyan smugglers – ruthless criminals who prey on the desperate and whose business fuels Libya’s civil war – in 2016.
As recently as last week he admitted he had no proof for allegations that NGOs were advising refugees not to cooperate with the Italian authorities, although the Italian parliament has also launched a fact-finding mission into the issue.
Jul 07, 2020Since yesterday, 2 special police battalions – APBn 14 and APBn 16 will be in charge of duty inside the 34 refugee camps in Teknaf and Ukhia to ensure the security of Rohingyas. According to the officials, the Cox’s Bazar District police officials have already handed over the duties and left the camps. However, the […]
Jun 25, 2020