A Syrian man has arrived in the Cambodian capital Phnom Penh in a fillip to the Turnbull Government's troubled $55 million agreement to resettle refugees held in Nauru.
Australian authorities secretly transferred the man weeks ago, bringing to just seven the number of refugees on Nauru who have agreed to make the journey to one of Asia's poorest nations.
Only three remain in Cambodia.
Tan Sovichea, head of the Cambodian Interior Ministry's Refugee Department, was quoted by the Phnom Penh Post as saying the man was one of two refugees who agreed early this year to leave Australia's offshore detention centre in Nauru. He said the second unidentified man changed his mind.
The agreement has teetered on collapse since then Immigration Minister Scott Morrison signed it at a champagne-sipping ceremony in 2014.
It has been widely condemned, including by the United Nations refugee agency UNHCR, human rights and refugee advocates and Cambodian opposition parties.
Sep 14, 2020Staff Reporter Abul kalam of Camp 16 told to our correspondence that Rohingya Community Members actually want to go back to Myanmar, not to a island which is in the middle of bay of Bengal. It is really very dangerous during monsoon season. Recently, some leaders from different camps went to see the location whether […]
Sep 01, 2020
Aug 21, 2020